Sunday, July 1, 2007

Elephant Stampedes and Far Off Places











What a shocking surprise. The un-reached people groups are still there. Sure, I have heard about them in Asia or the islands surrounding Indonesia. But here in Zambia, a Christian country? The more I work in the bush the more I am amazed at how few people here know about Christ and who He is. How have these villages been so overlooked? Some have never seen white people in their lifetime. They have never heard the gospel. And I get to do something about it. (As our groups cross over the river not only do they not know about Christ but they hadn’t even heard of the name AIDS. To be sure, they know there is a disease that is ravishing their country- but they know nothing about it or how to prevent it.)

This trip we did everything from presenting the glorious and perfect story of salvation for whole villages, to trying to create a pastoral group from the few villages that have believers. This is interesting because some religious groups have made it in to these villages- the Catholics and New Apostolic. Both of these groups, at least in practice here, have done what they can to keep the masses from reading scripture or understanding prayer. I am not making any judgment call on either the Catholics or New Apostolic but those religions have become so perverted here that they more closely resemble ancestor worship and voodoo- the exact antithesis of Christ’s message! What a blessing it is to be able to share the grace and free relationship we have with the Lord! We cast down the strongholds that have kept the villages ravished by sin causing fear, poverty, and lack of education.

We are also working with the communities to build gardens. We are constantly surrounded by elephants and baboons. While they are wonderfully beautiful, they are also quite deadly to both humans and gardens. They often won’t attack people unless threatened but they eat gardens like there is no tomorrow. Often the only livelihood people have is their sustenance farming and that is constantly threatened by the elephants and baboons. So we are setting up gardens for the school feeding programs and additionally running workshops on chili pepper planting on the parameters of the garden to deter the elephants. The elephant’s noses are highly sensitive and the chili peppers aggravate them to the point where the elephants might not go in and eat all the goodies. It reminds me a lot of the blood of Jesus as He protects us from the forces that would try to trample and eat the areas where we grow.

I only have one month left of my missions training! It is hard to believe that things have gone so fast but here I am! What an amazing time it has been. I am now trained in mechanics, medical first responder work, welding (which I am getting quite good at), expedition planning, survival training, GPS navigation, and many other life changing skills. When I think about where to go next I am in awe. There are some really cool opportunities ahead of me from here: There is a reconnaissance trip going into Angola to establish churches there, an expedition into Zanzibar- a highly devout Islamic country, I have two jobs available in Sudan, and a few other opportunities. Right now I am simply submitting myself to God to see where, what, when and how He wants me to go. I feel like I will not know for sure until AMT ends so for now I am just seeking His faceJ. Please pray with me that I will hear the Lord clearly and definitively. Also, I am very interested in hearing your ideas about where the Lord might use me in the future. Since most of you have invested in my life in so many ways, I would be interested in you investing your thoughts on this as well.